I’m delighted to announce that Rachel and Sari, my friends and comrades of feminist zine Hoax, are currently looking for contributors for their 6th issue. The topic of this issue is feminism and communication (which as a reference librarian greatly pleases me)!
You can check out their call for submissions here – and it was also noted that they’re looking for a great deal of artwork. Here are some potential topics suggested:
- how we utilize the various creative mediums to express ourselves: ie art/music/playwriting/dance/zines etc.
- language: terminology / identifications / labels / who is allowed to use certain terms / reclamation
- media: various types / their historical & cultural relevancy / effectiveness for social change / the decline of print media / online activism & social justice movements
- visibility: how we choose to communicate our identities (verbally and non verbally) / how different communication styles “out” us / secrecy / how we talk & to whom / where do you draw the line in sharing certain information (online, at yr job etc.)
- non-verbal communication: how we “read” and then judge others / body politics & gendered expressions (“passing” and “body work”)
- consent: expressed vs. body language / legacy of shitty health class information / talking about queer and/or non-normative sex
- the self: self-care / where the self ends & community begins / expressing yr needs / creating & sustaining personal boundaries
- accessibility: geographic accessibility / accessibility to language / pretension / the “academic industrial complex”